Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A dose of feminism

For those who don't know...I majored in both Political Science and Gender Studies in college. Lately, it feels like the subject of feminism has come up when I have thought about my life, and when talking to friends about their life choices/experiences. So...here is one of my favorite quotes about parenting from Bell Hooks, an esteemed feminist author.

"Children need to be raised in loving environments. Whenever domination is present love is lacking. Loving parents, be they single or coupled, gay or straight, headed by females or males, are more likely to raise healthy, happy children with sound self esteem. In future feminist movement we need to work harder to show parents the ways ending sexism positively changes family life. Feminist movement is pro-family. Ending patriarchal domination of children, by men or women, is the only way to make the family a place where children can be safe, where they can be free, where the can know love."

Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics, by Bell Hooks

Perhaps I should write a little more on the topic, but I always feel like my blog is a forum for bragging about the kids, being cheesy, etc. BUT, I do feel that becoming a mother has been one of the most empowering decisions I have made, and I hope that I can raise Lyla AND Grey to be self confident, open minded, fair and individuals who are connected to the greater issues in society.

3 comments:

The Durr's said...

i LOVE this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for blogging about this topic. It's something I feel strongly about as well. Sounds like this is a book I might enjoy!

The Lyon Den said...

Lacy,
I feel fine for the most part, but wish I was due this month instead of next. I always feel great in the morning, but by the time it's the end of the day I am tired of having to carry her.